If your New Year’s Resolution was ‘New Year, New Career,’ then now’s the time to act. Use these long, cold winter days to get a jump start on your job search.
Here are our top tips to kick off your 2017 job search.
- Make sure your resume is refreshed and ready to go. Update your resume with projects you completed last year, new software systems you used, and any awards you may have won. This also may be the time to take off some outdated skills/software, or that old college job from 10 years ago. The point is to have your resume optimized for the job you are looking for today.
- Set up job alerts on Indeed and other online job boards for positions you are interested in. By entering in some of your parameters such as location, industry, salary, etc., you will be able to weed out the irrelevant jobs. With thousands of jobs out there, you want to be able to focus your time on the ones that you are actually interested in.
- Take advantage of the post-Christmas sales and pick out an interview outfit. Your industry and location will play a big part in what type of interview outfit you need, so do your research. Whether you need a new suit, a pair of shoes, or a new shirt, most retailers are having big markdowns on last years’ clothing. Make your money go farther, while ensuring you look professional during your interview.
- Reach out to your network. You probably saw them over the holidays. Now, let them know you’re looking for a job. You never know which people in your network may know of an opening at their company. HR professionals state that personal referrals are still one of the best ways to get a job.
- Connect with a recruiter. Recruiters have access to jobs that may not be posted anywhere else online. Their clients trust them to do the recruiting for their staffing needs. Working with a recruiter can make it easier to get your resume to the top of the stack the hiring manager will go through.
Here at Key Resource Group, we pride ourselves on being able to connect great candidates with great jobs. So if you are interested in kicking off your 2017 job search, get in touch with one of our recruiters today, to see what opportunities may exist for you.