Every office has that one person who constantly gets everything done ahead of schedule and never has to ask for extra time or help to get projects done on time. Being productive isn’t a habit we are all naturally blessed with. Some people are naturally very productive, and seem to be able to check everything off their to-do lists every day. But what people often confuse a lack of productivity for; most of the time is actually laziness. And laziness is something that everyone should be able to overcome to be more effective at work.
If you find yourself struggling to be productive at work, here are 10 ways you can get over your laziness and increase your productivity.
- Check what your motivation is. Maybe what has motivated you in the past is no longer relevant, or maybe you simply need a reminder of what you are working towards.
- Look at your surroundings. Try adjusting the temperature in your office. Too hot and you’ll find yourself sleepy; too cold and you will be shivering (and most likely complaining) all day.
- Are you overwhelmed with commitments? If there truly is too much work on your plate, you may spend more time worrying about how you will get everything done than actually working.
- Refocus your thinking to place value on your work. Even if the work you are doing doesn’t seem earth shattering or very important, chances are pretty good that even the most monotonous work is still vital to the success of an organization. Every company has to have a strong foundation in order to grow and your work may be part of that foundation.
- Write out short-term and long-term goals for both your personal and professional lives. Print them out and post your goals near your computer so you have a visual of where you want to be in the future.
- Implement a new habit every month until your goals are met. Trying to make too many changes at once can be detrimental to any new habit.
- Remember, it’s important to take breaks. It’s been proven time and again that we have short attention spans. Working on something for more than an hour causes our productivity to slip as our minds wander. So remember to take short breaks to look away from the computer screen, stretch your legs, get a fresh drink, or chat briefly with coworkers. You will come back to your task refreshed and ready to get back to work.
- Play classical or instrumental music in the background. Just don’t pick anything too calm and serene or you may find yourself drifting off to sleep.
- Get organized. It’s hard to be productive when your desk or office space is a mess. Having everything neatly organized decreases the amount of time wasted looking for papers or files, as well as making it a more enjoyable workspace.
- Take a nap. (If possible) Short naps are more powerful than caffeine. After a 26 minute nap, your productivity increases by 34% and alertness is boosted by 54%.
Do you have any great tips for improving productivity at the office?