‘Tis the season of company holiday parties.
Office holiday parties can be the perfect opportunity to make a positive impression on the executives/managers in your company you have yet to meet, and to reinforce your overall positive image in the workplace. However, in order to leave your party on a high note, and not have everyone talking about you at the water cooler come Monday morning, make sure you follow these helpful tips.
- Dress appropriately.
- Drink alcoholic beverages in moderation. (Pro tip: Keep all your drinks in your left hand, so your right hand is free to shake hands when meeting new people.)
- Make sure you work the room, and speak with people in other departments you don’t see on a regular basis.
- If your host provides name tags, wear them. It’s bad taste to be the only one not doing so. (Pro tip: Etiquette says to wear them on the right side.)
- Thank those who are hosting/planning the event.
- Bring a guest unless the invitation says you are allowed one.
- Drink excessively.
- Talk exclusively business all night. Remember, it is a social gathering after all.
- Spend the whole night glued to your cell phone.
- Arrive too late or leave too early. Try to stay within 30 minutes of the times listed on the invitation.